»GPS - Czech Gynecological and Obstetrical Society

A brief history of the Czech Gynecological and Obstetrical Society

In 1919, the surgeons and gynaecologists assembled in Prague and decided to found a unified society. The first congress of this society was held on April 2-4, 1921, in Prague, with Prof. O Kukula as the chairman. Co-operation within the society lasted almost two decades, but eventually both parties wanted to become independent of each other.

In 1929, this proposal was first made by the chairman at that time Prof. Jerie, however the proposal was met with resistance from the surgeons, and not until February 22, 1936 did the majority approve a voluntary separation. Thus this date can be considered as the beginning of the independent Czech Gynecological and Obstetrical Society . The activities of this society did not falter even during the time of the Second World War, and the continuation of both Societies persists. Up until the division of our Federation, the Czechoslovak Society of Gynaecologists and Obstetricians was divided into Czech and Slovak Societies. Each had its own committee and chairman and together they had a federal committee: in two year intervals, the role of chairman alternated between a Czech and a Slovak chairman. The chairmen of the Czech Gynecological and Obstetrical Society were always significant representatives of our field: Prof. Josef Jerie ( until 1937 ), Prof. Antonin Ostrcil (1938 - 40 ), Prof. Emil Zikmund (1941-44), Prof. Josef Gruss (1945-46), Prof. Jiri Trapl (1946-50), Prof. Josef Lukas (1951-53), Prof. Vladimir Mikolas (1954), Dr. Jan Jerie(1955-58), Prof. Karel Klaus (1959-60), the academician Alfred Kotasek (1961-85), Prof. Frantisek Macku (1986-90), Prof. Ladislav Pilka (1990-93), and from 1993 until 1997 Associate Professor Vit Unzeitig, and from 1997 until the present Prof. Jan Horejsi. After the division of our country, the federal committee came to an end, however the Czech and Slovak societies continue to work in close Cupertino and together they organise conferences in this field.

The history of the Society is closely connected with the history of its journal: the first volume of Views in Surgery and Gynaecology came out in April 1921, and starting in 1931 (the 10th year) the journal came in two separate editions, a surgical edition and a gynaecologic edition, until the separation of the Society. The gynaecologic edition then changes into an independent journal titled Czechoslovakian Gynaecology. A year after the end of our federation, the title was changed to Czech Gynaecology, with a continuation in the numbering of the volumes from 1936. The first editor-in-chief of the Czechoslovak Gynaecology was Josef Gruss (1936-45), followed by Josef Lukas (1946-50), Miroslav Vojta ( 1951-74 ), and Karel Balak ( 1975-87 ). The last editor-in-chief of the Czechoslovak journal and the first editor-in-chief of Czech Gynaecology was Jiri Presl 1987 - 1989. Since February 1999 the editor in chief is Prof. Jaroslav Zivny. Although Czech Gynaecology is an official organ of the Czech Gynecological and Obstetrical Society , other journals have been started: beginning in 1991 Modern Gynaecology and Obstetrics (Dr. PhDr. Pavel Cepicky publisher and editor, since 1999 editor-in-chief Associate Professor Pavel Calda), in 1992 The Gynaecologist (chief editor-Associate Professor Jindrich Tosner), in 1995 Climacteric Medicine (chief editor Associate Prof. Donat), and from 1998 another two journals: Practical Gynaecology (chief editor Dr. Hoskova), and Family Planning and Reproductive Health (chief editor- Assoc. Prof. J. Tosner).

Since its founding, the Czech Gynecological and Obstetrical Society regularly organises scientific meetings in the form of two to three-day state-wide conferences.

While early after the war, these conferences took place three or more times a year, presently we organise only one such meeting per year, and the centre of specialised activities continues to move into the field of the specialised societies and committees which organise regular meetings for their members.

The Czech Gynecological and Obstetrical Society is a member of the International Federation of Gynaecologists and Obstetricians (FIGO). In the years 1964-76, the academician Kotasek was a member of the committee of FIGO, and at the last election at the congress in Montreal, another representative of our country was elected to a 9-year term on the committee of FIGO. The committee of the he Czech Gynecological and Obstetrical Society chose Assoc. Prof. Vit Unzeitig for this role. Through its divisions, the Czech Gynecological and Obstetrical Society is also a member of other specialised organisations.

  • EAGO (European Association of Gynaecologists and Obstetricians)
  • ESHRE (European Society of Human Reproduction and Embryology)
  • ESIDOG (European Society for Infectious Diseases in Obstetrics and Gynaecology)
  • ESGO (European Society of Gynaecologic Oncology)
  • FIGIJ (International Federation of Paediatric and Adolescent Gynaecology)
  • IFCPC (International Society of Cervical Pathology and Colposcopy)
  • IFSS (International Federation of the Sterility Societies)
  • ISM (International Society for Menopause)
  • UPIGO (International Professional Organisation of Gynaecologists and Obstetricians)
  • WAPM (World Association of Perinatal Medicine)
  • WHO (Assoc. Prof. Unzeitig is a Czech delegate in the WHO program concerned with womenís health, and Prof. Stembera is the head of the WHO collaborating perinatal centre in the Czech Republic)



»GPS - Homepage